Ecosia: Plant Trees While You Search the Web
Ecosia works like any other search engine, and like all search engines they have ads which is where they make money. However, unlike other search engines, Ecosia donates at least 80% of their profits to a tree planting program.
So you basically browse the web how you've always been, but you are planting trees in the process. They have cool features on their engine that keep track of how many trees you are helping to plant. Not only does it help the environment, but it also helps the locals of the nearby communities to make a steady income. They offer monthly business reports to prove where the money is going and how true they are to their cause.
Why more trees?
- cleaner air - trees create oxygen, which we need to breathe. They also clean the air by absorbing pollutant gases and filtering out particulates
- happy people - forests provide us with healthy food and lots of other products, which can be sustainably harvested. Worldwide the livelihood of 1.6 billion people depends on forests
- water security - forests regulate the water cycles and prevent floods. They create moisturous microclimates and increase groundwater levels. They act like a “sponge” and therefore prevent droughts
- cool climate - trees absorb CO2, which is one of the main drivers of climate change. Larger forests can even create clouds, which then reflect the sunlight and cool our planet
- biodiversity - forests are the most diverse systems on land with millions of species out of which many have not even been discovered and analyzed yet
- soil protection - trees protect the soil from erosion and they create productive and fertile land. If you cut down trees, you will very soon end up with a desert
- info by Ecosia
I've switched my main search engine to Ecosia, which is epic because you are contributing to a great cause without really doing anything different. I mean, we Google things all the time, but to think that you are planting a tree each time (or contributing to that effort each time) is really awesome to think about.
This is a little change we can make a significant difference - explore it out and maybe switch over to using this search engine. A step in being the change you want to see!
Thrive on my friends~ xx
Photo by: Maggie Chiang